Knowledgebase: General Articles
How to Configure CogentVoip Service with Talkswitch
Posted by , Last modified by on 20 January 2011 12:28 PM
Configuring the system is very simple. Before you start please ensure you have access to|
the email sent to the registered user on the Cogentvoip.com account with the account info.
This email is sent after you register and order your plan(s) and contains the account information you need to complete the setup process.
1. Download the talkswitchTM Start Guide from:
Follow the steps to install the system.
2. With the talkswitchTM configuration software already installed, open the software
and connect to your talkswitchTM system. Select ‘System Information’ and then ‘IP
3. Under ‘Set IP Settings’: If the talkswitchTM is getting its IP and DNS information from another system set‘Obtain IP and DNS information automatically’. Otherwise set ‘Use the
following IP and DNS information’ and leave the preferred and alternative DNS
In the ‘Public WAN IP Address’ box select ‘static’ and enter your public IP
address provided by you Internet Service Provider (Cogentvoip.com preferred
configuration). If your public IP address is dynamic (changes), select ‘dynamic’
and complete the other fields as appropriate for you system.
4. Select ‘System Information’ and then select ‘VoIP Configuration’, and finally select the
• In the ‘Service Provider Name’ field, enter Cogentvoip.com.
• In the ‘Proxy Server Name’ field, enter Cogentvoip.com.
• In the ‘Registrar Server Name’ field, enter Cogentvoip.com.
• In the ‘Outbound Proxy’ field, enter Cogentvoip.com.
• In the ‘Realm/Domain’ field, enter Cogentvoip.com.
5. In the ‘VoIP Lines’ fields you can enter the number of simultaneous calls you can
• If using Cogentvoip.com’s Business Unlimited plan these fields should be set to the
number of plans you have (e.g. 3 Business Unlimited then set the parameters
• If you subscribe to Cogentvoip.com’s Business Office or Business Pro then the
number of simultaneous calls is unlimited within the capacity of your Internet
access bandwidth. You will require 160 kbps per call if your codec’s are
configured for G.711 and 48 kbps per cal if your codec’s are configured for
G.729. Please take into account the usage of data applications if you are
sharing the Internet access with you data applications.
6. Select ‘System Information’ and then select ‘VoIP Numbers’. Select a VoIP
Number tab and check the ‘Activate VoIP Number’ box, then click on the ‘Service
Provider Profile’ button as shown in Figure 3 below.
• Enter you phone number in the ‘Phone Number’ box.
• From the Cogentvoip.com Account Setup email, obtain the ‘Authentication Username’
and enter it in to the ‘User/Account’ field. Please ensure you have no hidden
characters or trailing spaces.
• From the Cogentvoip.com Account Setup email, obtain the ‘Authentication Password’
and enter it in to the ‘Password’ field. Please ensure you have no hidden
characters or trailing spaces.
NOTE: If you have more than one Cogentvoip.com number, select additional VoIP number
tab(s) and repeat step 11 for each number.
7. Select ‘System Information’ and the select ‘Line Hunt Groups’. Select a Hunt
Group to use for accessing the Cogentvoip.com service and ensure Line Type is set to
Cogentvoip.com VoIP Numbers. In Figure 4 below, Hunt Group 88 is configured to access all
available VoIP lines. For convenience, you can assign a name to the selected Line Hunt
Group (e.g. Cogentvoip.com).
8. This step is Optional. The talkswitchTM is set to G.729 codec by default which
requires 48 kbps per call. This maximizes the number of simultaneous calls, and
provides basic audio quality. Alternatively you can select the G.711 codec, which
maximizes audio quality and supports Fax, but may limit the number of simultaneous
VoIP calls as it requires 160 kbps per call.
• To select G.711, select ‘System Information’ and then select ‘VoIP
Configuration’ then select the Service Provider 1 Profile tab, then select the
‘Codec Options’ button. In the ‘Codec Options’ dialog window, use the menu
to set the ‘Preferred Codec’ to G.711.
9.) Save settings to by selecting ‘File’ from the menu and then ‘Save to TalkSwitch’.
10.) On your firewall open the following ports:
5060 UDP Signalling
• 6000 – 6006 UDP (Map to IP address of TalkSwitch Unit ID 1)
• 6010 – 6016 UDP (Map to IP address of TalkSwitch Unit ID 2)
• 6020 – 6026 UDP (Map to IP address of TalkSwitch Unit ID 3)
• 6030 – 6036 UDP (Map to IP address of TalkSwitch Unit ID 4)
11.) Confirm that your VoIP Number(s) have registered. Select ‘System Information’ then
select ‘VoIP Numbers’ and select a Cogentvoip.com number tab. At the bottom of the page,
click on the ‘View Registration Status’. The ‘Registration Status’ window will open,
showing the registration status for each Cogentvoip.com number.
If the status shows a “Not Registered” result then there is a problem with the
configuration or connection to the network. If so, double-check that all information
entered in the steps above is correct.